News:

Forum recently upgraded to 2.1.4. Please report any problems.

Main Menu

Toroid inductance coil

Started by Aroidan, July 29, 2014, 09:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroidan

I am experimenting with using a toroid to replace the standard solenoid coil in a generator. Right now I am trying to find a configuration that will allow me to generate current. To test this I am using a Galvanometer to measure the magnetic change when I bring a magnet close to the coil. This works when testing against a standard solenoid coil. So far, however, it has not worked when using a Toroid. The toroids I have tested with have had magnetic material as the core so I am going to try building one a nylon core. Any thoughts on this? Will the galvanometer be able to detect anything?

zero

I hate to even mention the name but a leaky toroid like the QEG model is the only way you will induce a current into a true toroid coil. Rodin coils will work too but coefficient of coupling will be much less.

Aroidan

Okay, that is kind of what I thought. But I had been seeing a bunch of videos with people saying they used a toroid to induce a current or harness back emf and cancel lenz law. This seemed wrong but worth trying to verify. I am going to try a couple other methods and maybe look at the rodin and vortex coils.

Thanks

Aroidan

Found this patent that looks interesting and looks similar to what QEG and Quanta Mechanics guys are trying to do.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20030025416?dq=2003/0025416

I tried one last time last night to induce a current in a standard toroid winding with no success. I used a nylon washer for the core and wrapped it with 15 guage wire 5 time. Not sure how many winds that was but it was a lot. Nothing generated as expected.

Picked up a couple 3 inch toroid cores though today to build a small version of the stator in that patent. Who else has tried building one? It looks like the basic design was originally patented by Tesla...