News:

Forum recently upgraded to 2.1.4. Please report any problems.

Main Menu

Stove input/output

Started by bopseth, November 23, 2014, 01:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bopseth

Dear Zero,
Great job done on your rocket stove. I plan on using a very similar design. I'm hoping that my stove will put out 35,000 BTU/hour inorder to use it for the heat source of a flatbed grain dryer. Did your stove use 70 cubic inches of wood per hour? Just want to be sure as the wood consumption is a rough guide to BTU output. For example pine has a density of around 30 lbs/cubic foot. Pine has about 7,000 BTU/lb. If your example used pine, then 70 cubic inches is about 0.04 cubic feet, that works out to about 1.2 lbs of wood. This amount of wood contains about 8,400 BTU. You had mentioned in your pdf file you estimated that your stove was putting out 30,000-35,000 BTU/hour. Is there something wrong in my calculations?
Thanks,
Barry

zero

I initially calculated my BTU from the rate of temp rise for 2150 cu-ft air space. The 70 cu-in number was not as relevant as I first thought because my wood types varied greatly. Here's a better number for you. At full tilt boogie, running 800*F or more at the top (only 135*F out the flue) I'm burning a little over 4lb/hr of wood pellets rated at 5000 BTU/lb. Takes about 1hr to get it going that fast. Air temp raises almost 20*F/hr. I believe I'm getting a bit more BTU/lb than stated.

Does this answer your question?