News:

Please report any problems.

Main Menu

IronHead machine shop

Started by IronHead, November 30, 2016, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHead

Thought I would start a thread on the shop to post some projects and ideas.

Thanks for the forum Z

Just Build It
   IronHead

IronHead

Winter in coming

So the shop is huge! We have to heat it in some way. First, we do have a oil heater. But it runs about a full tank of oil to heat the shop for 2 weeks. Not the answer.

We also just got a couple of big propane heaters like you see in warehouses. Same problem here. These heaters will run through propane faster than the money that comes into the shop to pay for it.

The tiny plasma technology that heats the Bus is complex and requires alot of attention. To scale to the size required is impossible for me. It is a just a tiny ongoing experiment.

So i am looking to the rocket stove technology and wondering what kind of metrics are involved. I think if I used propane or oil  to keep the temp above freezing and a couple of rocket stoves for working temperatures. A 6 to 8 hours day maybe.

The good thing is we did get a bit of insulation in this year.

Just thinking out loud here. Any comments are welcome to help solve the problem

keithturtle

Welcome to the forum bro.  I solved my heat problem with propane tanks, sort of.  My current project, and has been for the past year, is to modify a 20# cylinder into some sort of useful stove or heat appliance.  To that end, I need 20# cylinders, obviously.

Two local hardware stores (same owner) fill tanks and charge the customer $3 to take expired or rusty tanks off their hands.

Their supplier has since tripled the charge to take away said expired tanks, creating a challenge for the stores.  I haul them off for free, then burn off any propane left inside to heat the shop with a small catalytic Mr Heater and a modified unit heater hanging from the ceiling.  Once empty, I pull the valves and turn it upside down for a couple days before I slice it up with the plasma cutter.  I end up with something along the lines of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgM9Lzmzz8
albeit much more durable.

Probably violates some DOT or DOE rule, but since I'm saving the owner a big headache and big bucks, all is well.  I have enough gas for the winter, but then my shop is 1/4 the size of yours.

To speak to your issue, I would suggest a wall-mounted Rocket Marse Heater.  Most home applications sport a bench or bed for thermal marse, but the shop would benefit from the drum out front with the heat pipes and marse arranged vertically behind.  Wood pellets or corn would be the simplest, but properly done it could be fired only twice during the day and make all the heat you need.

A free standing rocket stove like Z's would work well, but requires more attention.   It's a trade-off; hands on for more minutes in the day, or invest the time and materials for the RMH and leave you to tend to business.

IMHO

Turtle, garseing it

Vulcan Gasifier

About darn time you got over here!! haha just messin with ya! It will be good to see some new projects on here :)

IronHead

Thanks guys. Good to see yaz here. I have a bunch of 100lb propane bottles. I should do something with them.
And yes it really is about darn time Bro :)

zero

{Z raises his hand for one of those 100lb tanks}  8)

IronHead

Shipping might be a problem, You should move closer :)