News:

Forum recently upgraded to 2.1.4. Please report any problems.

Main Menu

Sodium Silicate Battery

Started by Thrive, November 24, 2019, 01:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thrive

Ok so, this summer I played around with battery technology. Originally I was trying to develop a printable TEG module as they are crazy expensive. So I ordered some very fine Aluminum Oxide, graphite power and a jug of sodium silicate for binder. I mixed both the aluminum oxide and the graphite with the sodium silicate to make inks to apply to a ceramic cloth. The aluminum oxide / sodium silicate mixture was the cathode side and the graphite / sodium silicate mixture was the anode side. I applied each to one side of the ceramic cloth creating a cell, let dry and applied heat. It worked!!

Well kinda of sort of, at least not in the way of how a TEG module works. Instead I created a heat activated battery cell. Unfortunately I could only get the cells to work for short periods of time and then they were ruined.

So I played around with a different approach. This time I simply cut some aluminum soda cans in half using the bottoms to create a vessel to fill up with sodium silicate. Then submerged solid graphite plates into the solution with out touching the aluminum. The sodium silicate is not cured and is wet in this experiment. I built four of these cells and hooked them together in series and then to an LED. I then placed this on a heat source and could light the LED as long as there was heat applied. I ran this test for 12 hours!! As long as I applied heat I could light that LED.

Id like to see others reproduce this experiment and add their own twist. If we can get higher output this could be driven with direct heat from biomarse.

My theory is this is not a battery at all. My theory is, that this is a direct water fuel cell. The hydrogen and oxygen I think is being liberated via the applied heat. The H is absorbed via the graphite plate and the O is going to the aluminum creating an electro / chemical reaction. How to confirm this I dont know or if there are other explanations please input your thoughts.

zero

I remember very little of my high school chemistry and even if I did it would still be only high school level. All I can say is even if your theory is correct, it doesn't seem very efficient. Personally, if I was going to tinker with electrical storage devices, I'd be more inclined to go down the super capacitor road blazed by Robert Murray Smith.

Thanks for posting here anyway. Glad someone still does.  ;D

Cheers,

Z

Thrive

This is following Roberts work combined with Mr Goodenoughs work on solid state battery tech. Although I found Mr Goodenoughs work after I created this. You dont necessarily need graphene to make all these experiments. Just fine powdered graphite will work for experimenting. Graphene will optimize things but is not necessary.

I think, this is worth experimenting with to make it efficient. You shouldn't expect a novice with probably lesser chemistry knowledge to produce an efficient cell lol.

I do plan to further experiment with better materials. Ill use copper and aluminum mesh along along with different separators. This takes very little heat to work. Too much heat will cause it to go the other way.

zero

Thanks for keeping the forum from being totally inactive. I'm horrible.