News:

Forum recently upgraded to 2.1.4. Please report any problems.

Main Menu

turbine output question, I sadly am having difficulty understanding a concept

Started by mnotcrzy, June 06, 2014, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnotcrzy

If anyone could help with this one it would be great. A turbine rated at 1000w sounds great, however it's speed increases volts and there is only so much wire in the coils, if the turbine gets up to 100v and pur s out ten amps does that mean @ 12v I can only get 120 watts out of it? I'm a bit ignorant of most electronics but over volting a lead battery bad... or can I get more amps from the turbine into my battery and inverter. Totally confounded by the correlation.  Thanks......

zero

Quote from: mnotcrzy on June 06, 2014, 02:24:52 PM
If anyone could help with this one it would be great. A turbine rated at 1000w sounds great, however it's speed increases volts and there is only so much wire in the coils, if the turbine gets up to 100v and pur s out ten amps does that mean @ 12v I can only get 120 watts out of it? I'm a bit ignorant of most electronics but over volting a lead battery bad... or can I get more amps from the turbine into my battery and inverter. Totally confounded by the correlation.  Thanks......
By "Turbine" I presume you mean generator? Max current is determined by wire gauge size. Voltage out is determined by speed.

Most all generators produce AC which must be rectified to get DC. If you want to convert 120VAC at 8A to 12VAC at 80A you need a transformer with a 10:1 turns ratio, small gauge on the primary, heavy gauge on the secondary.