News:

Forum recently upgraded to 2.1.4. Please report any problems.

Main Menu

General gasifier discussion

Started by zero, January 18, 2014, 03:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan Gasifier

Yup I just put lava rocks in it. You can always add filtering to it too, but to get an inexpensive base unit on the market this is how we are going to offer it. Ive been running a small 3 HP generator with it with no tar issues. As soon as funding will allow, Im going to get a slightly larger one. This one is just to small to really do anything running on wood gas.

keithturtle

I like your persistence

Keep at it

Turtle

zero

Beautiful craftsmanship. My only criticism is it still looks relatively complex to operate. There seems to be a lot the operator could do wrong if he didn't know exactly what he was doing. I'm forced to wonder how much more of the process could be automated?

Vulcan Gasifier

Nope its bullet proof. there is nothing an operator could do to make a mistake. Push any button at any time and you simply can't light it wrong. There are certain things that do not work if you don't have other things armed first. For instance the engine will not fire or work unless the automation system is armed first.

Next gen will run "autonomously" so no operator input is required anyways. This machine is the prototype and will be the first and last with manual controls. All new machines will get the new controller systems. All an operator will have to do is fill the hopper, arm the system, then simply walk away. The machine will run itself, you'll feed it like a pet!!

Once I get into cell phone apps, the machine will be able to be monitored and controlled remotely. It will be able to send you text alerts if it encounters problems or is hungry. I want the machines to also be able to have there own networking systems, transmitting and relay stations to carry internet and phone services. They would act sort like a cell tower in a community. This is a way bigger picture with a full community of machines working together. This may seem far fetched but leave the USA and you will see very fast this is quite doable. This is how the smart grids are going to be set up abroad. We are way behind the rest of the world in renewable technology.

Vulcan Gasifier

Ok got a couple of things to post here. One is if you don't know I am doing a new series on a free open source gasifier. Yes the plans are free along with a video support. I also have a forum but since you are already at this one we surly can use this thread for forum support here. You will need to go to my sight to get the downloads though. Hopefully someone here builds one and can help take the reins here on this forum to arseist others. This is open source for the DIY community and that is the only reason its open sources. Its up to you guys building to add improvements to the design to pay it forward to the next DIY guys. My commercial machines are far beyond this little gasifier and it does feature a lot of stuff we have learned over the years. However, it is still a very simple Imbert design. What's cool about the TOG is it is completely modular just like the commercial machines we build. Build the machine, learn how it operates and then if you want to experiment with your own versions of components you can simply build them and bolt them in place of any original pieces.

Here is a link to my channel and scroll down to the TOG Series playlist on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIj9jrb2pG4mNb_njWMKxPg

On another note I just sold one of our Rocket Stoves and had to do the updates for the 2017 model. Going to be carving out parts starting tomorrow for it.

Thrive

Well, well, well; turns out I am still alive. lol

So yeah 2019 Flex Power Station is out and I will be working on new development here soon. I will be working on bringing to market a universal auto gen start system for off grid battery systems. Prototype has been up and running for 6 months. The new version will have a cell phone app that gives you full battery status including power usage. Plus you set your trigger points from the app as well. This can handle 12-60 volt systems all in one device as well. Its pretty cool.

Once I have this first power station complete I will move on to next development that will feature a very advanced hybrid system. This will start as a down draft wood gasifier with an up draft charcoal unit. No char yield with this. This will then evolve into hydrogen plasma type reactor system later on. This will eliminate the Nox input and should result in a much greater gas energy density. That being said the machines will shrink in size.

The machines now feature very advanced automation systems and will be able to run autonomously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MO8aQVQ_I&t=10s

Z you should check out Linux Mint

zero

Damn! Look at you go!

Boys and girls, I knew him when....  8)

And you're right.  I do need to look at something else.  Xubuntu 18.04 is nothing but problems.  Just discovered tonight the nVidia driver does not work at all with the Ion graphics chip on my 1215n laptop!  16.04 still works without a hitch.  Not happy.

Thrive

Has it been that long? April?? Dang time flies!!

Well the first Flex Power System is ready to ship. I have three more to build for 2019 models and then I will start 2020 models. The 2020 models will be unchanged other software updates which all machines will get. Just like a Tesla with every software update the machine will get better.

Ok the auto gen start system has been built and is working awesome!! I am fully off grid and running Headway LifePo4 cells for power storage.

You can check those videos out on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIj9jrb2pG4mNb_njWMKxPg?view_as=subscriber

I did a live feed on facebook running the FPS system. I did  a two hour run so you can see its consistency and how easy it is to operate. Nothing complicated if you can work a cell phone you can operate this machine. This is probably the most advanced and automated gasifier system ever created!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73q6Et_dgkc&t=599s

So moving on, I am now underway with new development. Next is a new pellet stove that is also engine run capable. You install just like any other pellet stove except this has no chimney. You pipe its exhaust thru wall and to the outside power generator. This houses a draft blower for running in full combustion mode. When the controls see that the inverter is calling for a charge cycle this will automatically shut off the second stage combustion process at the stove and direct this gas to the power unit for engine combustion process. The generator system is specifically built for the VersaFire pellet stove and is a DC system giving the user the ability to run at low or high power. Unlike an AC System where the rpms are static.

I also have new technology coming. Theoretically this I believe is a heat activated direct water to hydrogen fuel cell technology. This is huge!! and I have done a 12 hours experiment running a small LED. What I think is happening is H and O are being liberated from the electrolyte when it is heated. It is then absorbed via an aluminum cathode and a graphite coated anode. It also works as a battery and will hold a charge. So far Im only able to produce small amperage, but then again Im not a chemist. So there is big potential with the right chemistry this could output at very high efficiencies.  Water is simply added to the electrolyte to replenish it and any fuel could be used for the heat source.

Here is a quick video of a solid state version and no this is not a Seebeck process :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzgA8JgibUQ

Maybe Z could do a new Youtube Series on this? You will have to contact me via PM for the electrolyte and I can set you up with a very simple crude experiment for proof of concept.